Listen up, gents. We have a lot to thank foundation for. Giving our complexion a uniform colour? Check. Hiding imperfections and signs of an all-nighter you’d rather leave at home? Check. Helping you look that bit younger and – dare we say it – boasting somewhat of a glow-up? Check. Providing the base for all other products to follow suit? Check. It’s only right, therefore, that we give some special attention to this hardworking fella in our Foundation 101.
How do I use foundation?
Right, let’s jump straight in, shall we?
- Start with a clean canvas. The first thing to note is that – like all other makeup – foundation should always be used with your skincare routine (yes, we know we’re beginning to sound like a broken record, but it really is that important!). After all, good makeup starts with good skincare. If you’re new to the blog, check out our informative guide on what you need for an effective skincare routine here. Maintaining this routine is vital if a smooth, blemish-free complexion is what you’re after.
TLDR: At the very least, make sure your face is clean (both morning and night!).
- Whilst this is not a must, applying primer before foundation will not only help smooth your face out but give the makeup extra staying power, too. This is especially beneficial if you have a beard, as it will prevent the foundation from sitting on the hair follicles. Get yours here.
- Use natural light. By a window is preferable (depending on the weather, obviously.).
- Less is more. We’ll practice what we preach and just leave that as is.
- You know what they say, a good workman never blames his tools, and all that, so it really doesn’t matter how you choose to do it! Fingers, sponge or brush – whatever your method, just make sure it’s applied naturally and thoroughly – without any tell-tale signs that you’re wearing anything at all (on your face, obviously). Focus on those hard-to-reach areas, such as around the nose and eyes, and if you’ve got a bit of stubble, make sure you apply against the grain. Check out our how-to video here.
Top tip. Choosing the right tone is imperative. You want one that’s going to look invisible on your skin for the most natural finish – not stick out. Find yours in our Shade Finder tool here.
Is it ok to wear foundation every day?
You may have heard that wearing makeup every day is bad as it stops your skin from breathing. Well, here’s a fun fact: skin doesn’t breathe. Yes, wearing it every day without removing it at night as part of a proper cleansing routine is asking for trouble – namely clogged pores and acne. But assuming you are diligent about your daily routine, wearing foundation every day is not only not bad for your skin, it may even be good for it.
The truth is, foundation forms a protective barrier over your skin – both physically against environmental elements and thanks to the natural SPF that can be found in the ingredients (we’re talking good quality brands here, obviously). More on this soon! (Disclaimer: NO makeup should ever be used as an alternative to sunscreen.).
We’ve been conditioned to believe that makeup can be bad for our skin, and once upon a time this may have been true. But it has evolved a lot since it first started, and as long as you’re choosing a good quality brand with only the finest ingredients, it is absolutely fine (we would even go so far as to argue advisable!) to wear your foundation every day.
What should I look for in a good quality foundation?
We thought you’d never ask!
Look for a water-based solution that also contains:
- Titanium Dioxide. An ingredient that’s also used in sunscreen, it offers protective benefits in addition to your daily SPF.
- Tocopheryl Acetate. Also known as Vitamin E, this is an effective antioxidant that helps protect the skin from the environment, soothe and heal sensitive skin and prevent premature ageing.
- Sodium hyaluronate. This, along with coconut oil, offer moisturising properties.
It may not surprise you to learn that the War Paint For Men Foundation offers all of these – and more!
So, what are you waiting for? Arm yourself with this little warrior today and soldier on – through whatever life has to throw at us.